- Total project cost: $1 million
- Resetting of 209 metres of bluestone platform edging to new levels
- Reconstruction of all asphalt platforms: approx 3,750m2 asphalt excavated and reconstructed
- Removal of 210 metres of timber platform edging and replacement with new steel edging
- 590 tonne of asphalt land laid
- Work carried out from 10:00pm Friday eventing until 4:00am Monday mornings for 8 weeks
- Skidsteer loaders running throughout shifts
Flexible approach to project delivery:
Works could only be carried out by shutting one of the four platforms at a time to allow all major train services continued with little or no interruption. Citywide crews undertook work at nights, clearing and securing the station area before the morning services rolled in.
Another challenge was that all materials, including excavated material and new material (crusehd rock and asphalt) had to be transported through the staion via a single platform, while the other three platforms remained in operation for regular train services. Using Skidsteer loaders ('bobcats') around the clock, Citywide delivered on contract commitments making sure all materia was transported in and out of the station prior to the first weekly services on each Monday morning.
Acknowledging a key concern of Council, and despite the fact that the station is in a community setting, the project was completed without a single resident complaint. View Less