The Shrine of Remembrance is Victoria’s largest and most visited war memorial. With over a million visitors paying their respects to the ANZAC’s annually, the Shrine conducts over 120 memorial ceremonies every year.
As part of Citywide’s Open Spaces Services Contract, awarded by the City of Melbourne from April 2004 to April 2014, Citywide managed and maintained the Greater Shrine Reserve, which includes the immediate area surrounding the Shrine of Remembrance.
Located on St Kilda Road, just south of Melbourne’s CBD, the Citywide Open Spaces team created and maintained a picturesque and visually stunning tribute to Australia’s fallen heroes. With a number of garden features and memorials located throughout the Greater Shrine Reserve, the Shrine of Remembrance stands true as one of Victoria’s most symbolic landmarks.
Site Location: The Shrine of Remembrance
Total Contract Value: $40 million plus
Contract Period: April 2004 - April 2014
Client: City of Melbourne
Description of Works Undertaken:
- Turf and lawn area maintenance and renovation
- Garden bed maintenance and landscaping
- Irrigation maintenance and management
- Horticultural maintenance
- Infrastructure maintenance (seats, signs, water features, paths,plaques, billboards, etc)
- Cleansing Services, Rubbish Removal, Graffiti and Vandalism repair
- Events for under 5,000 people
Further contributing to Citywide’s heightened level of service is the close knit relationship developed with Shrine representatives. Meeting every two weeks for review, Citywide is able to ensure the expectations and standards set by Shrine representatives are continually met.
Projects Currently Being Undertaken:
- Creation of an Ex-Servicewomen’s Memorial Garden. This involves Citywide assisting the Shrine Architect with planning & design, and once finalised will be installed as a Citywide donated /
- Storm water harvesting project to capture storm water run off, ultimately assisting in the watering of lawns around the Shrine of Remembrance, including the forecourt.
“We have always found your services to be exemplary and your staff are always eager to go ‘beyond the call of duty’... Citywide staff are always highly responsive, dedicated and eager, with a sincere understanding and appreciation of the importance of the Shrine and the Shrine Reserve”
Denis Baguley, Chief Executive
Shrine of Remembrance
Find out more about our Open Space services, or speak to us today about how we can assist you.